Sunday, August 14, 2011

FAQ on the new assistant coach

Q: Why is Julie's mom our new assistant coach?
A: Like you, I love to run, and I do 1-2 races a month.  I like to mix up the distance and the terrain. This year I have done events ranging from 5K to 40 miles.  My love is longer trail distances, but I occasionally put on my road shoes to see how I can perform on pavement. Sometimes I feel golden, sometimes I suffer, but I try to end every event with a smile, grateful to be out there with health and doing my best. To be a runner, the courage comes not from finishing, but in being brave enough to take the first step.

Q: Do you run local races?
A:  Sometimes, but this summer I have been in race series in Colorado.  I have one more event left, and am 52 seconds out of first place in my AG, but I hope to fix that this coming Saturday. :)

Q:If you run all sorts of races, what is the hardest distance?
A: A 5K.

Q:Are you a nutrition nut?
A: Yes.  I try to eat food that is an ingredient, not made up of ingredients, because I know it helps my endurance.

Q: Why do you want to be our assistant coach?
A: Running gives you much more than speedy times.  XC demands persistence, inner strength, and is a great metaphor for handling life and stressful situations.   I hope to encourage the XC athletes to be the absolute best person they can be.   Everyone will finish with a different time, but our work ethic and attitude are our common denominator and make us a team.  And I am honored to be part of that team.

Q: If you are such a nutrition nut, why did I see chips and soda in your house?
A: Don't tell anyone. In the summer I am weak. But does not happen very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment